Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Twilight: One Mans Journey to Find Out What is all About.


Last night, I started my journey to research the phenomenon that is the Twilight series. I have decided to read the books with no preconceived ideas about that books. I am reading these books as if I am the first person on the face of the planet to read them. I also want to read them from the eyes of man, and to see what a typical man would think as he read the many pages of the book. So last night my journey began. First I need to thank my friend who let me borrow her beloved Twilight book, without her this adventure would not be possible.

It started with me pulling out my snuggie and then snuggling up on my lazy-boy. I opened the book and first read the different chapter headings. This is something I do with every book I read, I like to know the overall scope of the book. I then began to read the first chapter of the book. The book is written through the prospective of Isabella Swan aka Bella. It starts out with her mom taking her to the airport and we as the reader are privileged to go inside the mind of a teenage girl. I don't know about you, but this is something that I always wanted to do when I was a teenage boy. Anyways we learn the Bella is a little insecure of herself and comes from a family that has been separated and she has been living in Phoenix with her mom, with the occasional visit to her Dad (Charlie) she calls him Charlie in her mind and not Dad, but in person she calls him Dad. He seems like a nice guy thus far, so it is a little confusing to why she does not call him Dad. In the first chapter she arrives in Washington gets an old truck to drive around it. With the emphasis put on this truck and its noise I am not going to be surprised if the truck carries the plot in some direction.

The next part of the first chapter is Bella starting High School in Washington. Again we are treated to Bella's struggle to fit in. We learn she does not feel she is special in anyway. She did not fit in Arizona and believes she will not fit in in her new High School. She goes from class to class with nothing really nothing of note happening. Until she gets to Biology class. She is assigned to sit next to a boy named Edward Cullen. By the reaction of Edward to Bella you would assume Bella forgot to put on deodorant in the morning. He seems completely repulsed by her in every way. At the end of the chapter he tries to change to another Biology course to avoid her all together.

So that is my recap of the first Chapter. Overall it was nothing to exciting to start. There is some mystery involving the Cullen's and there story. Bella seems a little moody and insecure about where she fits in the world. Overall this seems like a book that will draw in more female readers in the male readers, but there good be some elements that men will relate to as well. We will see.


3 comments:

Haylee said...

The dad's name is Charlie, but I still appreciate you putting in the effort to read the books. I think you will find you really enjoy them if not love and worship them.

Alex said...

I'm looking forward to reading your synopsis of the book. I've considered reading them myself, but am too busy this semester. It's on my list of books to read, but its a bit lower on the list, I'm thinking #14 or so.

One of the main reasons I want to read the book is because it takes place in Forks, WA which was in my mission. I don't know how the book is written to portray the town, but lets just say forks makes Orderville, UT look like a metropolis.

Lisa said...

OMG! Are you really wearing a snuggie and reading Twilight?