Friday, November 20, 2009

Twilight: Beauty and the Beast

This week, I have continued my reading of Twilight. I am now 200 pages into the book and I would admit that I am enjoying it. Maybe this goes back to when I got chicken pocks in the 6th grade and got hooked to soap operas on TV. When your that age there was something intriguing about soap operas. It probably also goes back to when I was in Junior High and High School and started to watch wrestling. There is something about drama that intrigues and compels us to watch. Why do you think so many people watch the "Hills", its not because of the amazing stories and acting. With Twilight there is a drama that is building. I still have not come across much drama or mystery in the book, other then Bella trying to figure out her fears and attraction to Edward. For any person reading the books the attraction is understandable, most girls want to tame the beast, and Edward is Bella's beast. I don't know if the name Bella was chosen by Mrs. Myers on coincidence or on purpose. My guess is on purpose. But as I was reading the book last night, I started to see a parallel between Twilight and "Beauty and the Beast", now I don't know if this parallel will continue or not but at least there is starting to be a connection to the song as old as time.

No comments: